One of my favorite memories from when I was little was music in our house. My family has always loved a good dance party in the Kitchen on a Saturday morning, or annoying the neighbors with Rascal Flatts blaring while doing yardwork every weekend during the summer.
Every Christmas you can count on my dad leaping around the house to Amy Grant's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, and every morning throughout the school year we woke up for scriptures to MoTab - we had until the end of the song to be upstairs in the front room, or else... :). Music was constantly on and we all loved it.
Car rides were filled with James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkle, Cat Steves (mom's favorite), Earl Klugh and tons of other music. Dad challenged our knowledge of artists by offering differing amounts of money based on perceived difficulty. We never cared so much about the money, but being able to surprise our dad with correct answers on the especially difficult questions.
If one of us ever found a really good song it was played over and over and over again until we eventually found a new song to take its place. We knew that we had found something special when Dad would purchase the whole album after hearing just one song from the new artist we had discovered.
Over the years I have come to appreciate just how much music can have an impact upon my life. I find that the weeks that I have hardly listened to any music aren't nearly as fun or happy as the ones where I surround myself with wonderful uplifting music.
Sure, my taste in music is probably immature - I love a good Justin Beiber song now and then, and have you ever listened to Telling the World or Take You to Rio from the Rio soundtrack? But all of these songs bring fun and joy into my life.
I have always had this secret dream that one day I would dance in the kitchen with my own husband and kids. Tonight, we were eating dessert, Asher was smiley and wiggly and was ready to play. So naturally, we turned up the music and just danced in the kitchen, just the three of us, Adam, Asher, and me. Asher loved it, and I loved it more.
Music will always be a huge part of my life, and I hope for many more kitchen dance parties to come.
Life has never been better.
YAY! Oh how fun. Yesterday I saw Asher sleeping in the kitchen :). He is such a cute boy.
ReplyDeleteOh I can't wait to see him on Friday! I look forward to doing that with my family too! Glad to hear how awesome it is.
ReplyDeleteLOVE this. Love.
ReplyDelete